Experience free exclusive events on the Day of Photography
On 19 August AntwerpPhoto Festival celebrates the International Day of Photography. This is the day in 1839 when French inventor Daguerre revealed his first photography technique to the world and photography was born. So what does this celebration of photography in and around the Pilotage Building have to offer? Discover new exhibitions and register for special events free of charge: a lecture by Jimmy Kets, interviews, debates...
What are the must-sees on the Day of Photography?
- Discover a new expo around the Pilotage Building: the winning photos of the ‘Zicht op Antwerpen’ competition.
- Take a guided tour with an expert along the exhibitions of the Pilotage Building. Tours start at 11 a.m. and 2, 3 & 4 p.m. (register via email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 11 a.m.: Professional photographers and designers can take part for free in the workshop by Giedo Claes (Antalis, major distributor of paper for visual communication) on different types of paper. | SOLD OUT |
- 2 p.m.: De Tijd journalist Rik Van Puymbroeck interviews 4 Belgian photographers whose work is featured in the Iconobelge exhibition. | SOLD OUT |
- 4 p.m.: Professor emeritus in visual culture Johan Swinnen engages in a conversation with other experts on the importance of photography in our society. | SOLD OUT |
- 7 p.m.: Jimmy Kets, our headliner of AntwerpPhoto Festival 2021, tells us about his vision, stories and pictures. | SOLD OUT |
AntwerpPhoto Festival and the Day of Photography are Covid-proof events, with limited seating. Feel free to register for the free event of your choice (be sure to book a time slot if you also want to visit the five major exhibitions that day).
Do you want to attend an event in person on the Day of Photography?
(free guided tours can only be booked by email: email@example.com)
Win AntwerpPhoto goodies
Drop by the bookshop and the AntwerpPhoto Café and collect a free poster. Put it up and send us a picture (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 22 August at the latest to stand a chance of winning the limited edition AntwerpPhoto Portfolio of Jimmy Kets as well as a goodie bag.
Screening of ‘Harry Gruyaert’
On the Day of Photography there is also an exclusive screening of ‘Harry Gruyaert’. The screening of this film on the famous Belgian Magnum photographer takes place at Antwerp movie theatre Lumière (Lakenstraat 14) at 8 p.m. Book your ticket (€8.5 - 10).
Additional footage online
Also on the Day of Photography we are posting a number of interesting videos on our website: a fascinating interview of Jan Desloover, chief photo editor for De Standaard, with Jimmy Kets, and a selection of the video testimonials by Flemish celebrities on their favourite picture.